The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.
But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.
True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus performers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.
It’s written beautifully. It’s reminiscent of J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter the way it can paint such a colorful picture in your head as you read it. One passage I especially liked:
“Stories have changed, my dear boy,” the man in the grey suit says, his voice imperceptibly sad. “There are no more battles between good and evil, no monsters to slay, no maidens in need of rescue. Most maidens are perfectly capable of rescuing themselves in my experience, at least the ones worth something, in any case.”
You have to read the rest of that chapter, I don’t want to spoil it for you. It’s so moving.
I want to share this story with you. I’m giving away 5 copies of The Night Circus care of Fully Booked.
- Winner must be willing to pick up book at Fully Booked Bonifacio High Street.
- You must be following me on Twitter (@saabmagalona) so I can send you a direct message if you win.
- Tweet this ONLY ONCE: “#SpellSaab is giving away 5 copies of The Night Circus! http://bit.ly/WdxOJF“
- Please don’t tag me, I don’t want to be flooded <3
- Your Twitter profile must be set to public for the duration of the contest so we may verify.
- Leave your Twitter username as a comment below ONLY ONCE. Comments are moderated by admin so if you don’t see your comment right away, do not panic. It’s in the system ;)
- If you cannot pick up the book personally, you must have a friend who will do it for you.
- Deadline is on Friday, October 19. 11:59PM. Winners will be announced on Saturday, October 20 via Twitter.
If you don’t like joining contests, you can always order/reserve it online: http://www.fullybookedonline.com/the-night-circus :)